View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
davemon

I believe that there is a subset of Boxster owners that are unlike any other car owning sector. That we have not only reduced the known catastrophic failures to about 3, we also have identified the trouble rate by year and even found a new and superior bearing to resolve 1 of those 3 problems. I'll admit I cannot afford a 911 or at least not with good conscience, but even if I could, I still know the Boxster is what I want. I initially thought I was going to buy the less expensive (both in terms of price tag and maintenance) S2000 for all the reasons people buy Hondas realizing it was a compromise bc I really wanted the Boxster performance. Frequenting these forums, Pedros Garage, mikefocke's site, LN engineering etc made me much more comfortable buying my used '04 986.

Because of these resources I know everything that may go wrong with this car, I'll be getting the ISMR soon that would have resolved about 1/2 or more of my worries. I can deal with the minor components crapping out, in exchange for a superior driving experience. What would be devestating is a grenaded 2.7L before I get significant return on investment (or is this a divestment, ha). As long as I can get some decent miles clocked on the 2.7L, I'll be extremely happy. One day the 2.7 will die and I only hope enough time has elapsed since my initial purchase that I can rationalize dumping more $ to get a (Raby) bigger HP replacement and get a second and more torquey life out of ole Boxy. Besides isn't gaining HP a good consolation for an engine biting the dust?

Last edited by davemon; 05-27-2010 at 07:56 AM.
davemon is offline   Reply With Quote