View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #10
Perfectlap

I had a Miata for about 5 years too. Mostly an Autocrosser that I rarely drove during the week. Believe it or not this car has been more relialbe than the MX-5.
I'll go one better this is the most reliable car I have driven (inlcuding my folk's cars) based on 60K miles/6 years of driving.
Non-maintenace repairs in that time have been the following in this order:

1-faulty parking brake switch $4 at 10K miles
2-premature death of throttle body $300 (dealer) at 30K miles
3-02 sensor at 50K miles $150 (DIY)
4-alternator at 65K miles $200 (indy)

Now major maintaince (clutch/IMS, shocks, brakes) is not cheap but this isn't a Scion afterall...nor is it a Ferrari. I'd say its the best deal going for a racing brand.
You just have to have a little slush fund ready or you need to start one for the expected work as well as the unexpected.

Now all that being said, I think a lot of all of this has to do with how the owner or previous owner drove the car. I drive conservatively until the oil is up to temp, I don't mash on the brakes..actually I try to use the brakes as little as possible, I don't jerk the wheel in and out of corners, I don't lug the engine to save gas or whatever, I make sure the air pressure in the rubber is solid so as not to punish the suspension and wheels and I try to be smooth with shifts always trying to match the revs. If someone does none of this there will be problems.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-27-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote