View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Ok, a couple questions first: How serious do you want to get? How big are you? What safety requirements does your track day sanctioning organization have?

If your near term goal is doing a few DEs a year I suggest to my students to stay with the stock seats and run quality street tires. If Time Trials or other forms of racing are in your near future but you want to stay street legal I suggest a quality FIA tested/approved seat from Porsche GT3, Sparco, Recaro, Cobra, Momo, or others. Why FIA tested? Because safety is very important in a seat. A stock Porsche seat or FIA seat are unlikely to fail in an accident resulting in you being ejected from your car. Choose wisely and avoid the cheapies with low prices and zero safety testing. Before buying do a meet and greet with other drivers at the track next time. Ask them about their racing seats. If you find someone near your size ask if it would be ok to sit in it. Most will share a great deal if you ask politely. For reference I am 5'10 and 175lbs with long torso. The Cobra Imola Pro is mounted in my car and I am very satisfied. It was about $900 each including seat, mounting hardware and tax. Good luck.