View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #15
23109VC

over this weekend I decided to go to the local pep boys to see if they had anything that woudl seal up my muffler..I also needed some moreleather conditioner and some paint... (i have to do some minor touch up to my red calipers....)

so I was lookking for some sort of bung that could be welded into the holes or a plug... pep boys ended up having some plugs that looked very similar to the plugs the other poster put up a pic off..only instead of having a little "handle" they have a nut on the end that you tighten up and it shrinks/pull in / compresses the rubber stopper... the store salespesons aid they were meant to plug holes/lines in engine blocks....

i found one that was just under 1" in diameter - as my bypass pipes are 1" pipe..the interior diameter of the holes are just under 1"...so I shoved the plugs up in there, tightened them up , and bingo. works like a charm.

I just need to paint them black so you don't see them. if you look directly inot the exhaust tips you can sort of see these brass colored things sticking down a bit..once they are black, you won't see them.

** one question I had - since the bypass pipes on my car are only 1" in diameter - I wonder if they were too small and were part of my the bypass pipes on my car never sounded "right:"???

one option down the road would be to redo them larger to see if it makes it sound better???

for now - I have it plugged up and if/when I wan to go back to the louder exhaust, I just need to pop out the plugs.. problem solved.

oh yeah - these little plugs were $2.99 each....

thanks to all of you for the advice and suggestions. I am honestly enjoying my car a lot more with the exhaust sealed up. ultimately, i'd like an aftermarket exhhaust, but for some reason, my particular pedro muffler didn't quite have the right sound...

if/when i find someone who wants to buy it, i can apply that money toward an NHP or something else.

thanks again!!!
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote