View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
mikefocke

Better and more better

Both are great cars. Were there improvements in the 987 series over the 986? Yes. But are they vital to your enjoyment? Not to me but it is your $ you are spending and only you can answer that question for you.

Drove stick for probably 30 years. Traffic got too bad and I found I wasn't as tired after the commute if I borrowed my wife's slush-o-matic. So when I went looking for my first Boxster, a TIP wasn't a bad thing to me. Liked my '99 TIP but the '01S TIP I have now is even better as it allows downshifts even when not in manual mode. I run manual mode maybe 10% of the time. TIPs are awfully reliable too. Haven't driven the PDK because I'd be tempted and the Boxster I'd really want costs $94k and change when I configure it. I paid about 28% of that and I have as much fun and receive as much favorable attention. Both my cars have had excellent reliability.

I didn't find the difference between a base and an S that significant and that was between the 2.5L 201HP '99 and the 3.2L 248HP. With the smaller engine, I could keep my foot down longer/stronger before I got to dangerous speeds. But you may find the difference significant.

You may find this site useful.
http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/modelyeardifferences
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote