View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
longislander1

Delivery delays (long)

I would very much appreciate opinions on my current situation as the wait for my car goes on four months. I'm trying to decide whether to walk away from the deal, buy an in-stock car someplace else (at a substantially higher discount) and demand my deposit back.

I ordered an '05 987S on 3/19. Dealer told me on 4/29 that the car was being completed 5/2 and would arrive in late May. On 6/1, he told me car was on vessel that day (incorrect) and that it would arrive in late June. On June 22, he said car was completed 6/1 (denied mention of 5/2), had missed 6/13 boat and didn't know when it would arrive. He said he could do nothing more and I should call PCNA. By the way, I have NEVER received a call from this salesperson keeping me up to date on the car's status. I have had to initiate every call. I also spoke to the dealership GM, who was also not helpful. When I told him I might have to cancel the deal and get my deposit back, he said something like, "We'll see about that."

I finally linked up with PCNA regional manager who said car's production was moved from 5/2 to 6/1 (wouldn't give a reason) and that Boxsters have been delayed by about three weeks (wouldn't give a reason). Today, she is claiming the car is expected to be on a boat leaving next week and claims it could arrive at the dealer by 7/15. I have heard these stories before. Meanwhile, I have seen a number of people who have taken delivery when they ordered their cars at the same time or after I did. I'm now wondering whether my car was damaged and repaired.

I'm not married to this particular car. I have found a number of other in-stock vehicles that I could have right now for substantial discounts. My dealer contract says "May Production, June Delivery," but it also says "this order is not subject to cancellation," the dealer is not responsible for manufacturer delays and that if I cancel, the dealer can keep the deposit as damages. However, the dealer also failed to sign my copy of the contract, which states "this order shall not become binding until accepted by dealer or his authorized representative." From what I understand, the contract isn't valid unless the buyer receives a fully executed copy. Here in NY, they say a contract is a contract and there are no laws requiring return of a deposit at this point, except for cars that are financed.

I have asked PCNA to back me up if I choose to get the deposit back and to see if they can arrange some incentives (free merchandise, etc.) for me to go through with the deal. They are mute on both points.

Finally, I learned after I ordered the car that this dealer has a truly bad customer service record with the VWs and Audis that it also sells (couldn't find anything for Porsche, although three brands are sold from the same facility). There are a number of horror stories posted on the web about cars leaving the service facility with hardly any oil, salespeople and techs lying, etc. Now, I'm also worried about prep and delivery through this dealership.

I would like to buy another in-stock car right now, but I'd rather not lose my deposit. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote