View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 06:58 AM   #3
RandallNeighbour

Actually, Ebay is not at fault. I must take full responsibility.

I emailed ahead of the auction closing and said I'd love to buy it if it were only a manual set and not tiptronic. It was sold by a larger parts house as new-old-stock.

The guy called me and said he had a non-tip face for the far right side he could swap out at no charge for me so I wouldn't have to do it myself and said he wouldn't charge me for it.

So, I take the blame for allowing someone to do something so delicate. I didn't know then what I know now, of course!

I think there may be some other problem though... the first cluster I had only showed 3/4 of a tank when full, and it was identical with the brand new cluster. My mechanic and I assumed it was fuel hoses in the way of the level arm, which he tie wrapped to the sending unit's stalk (common fix at dealerships) and it worked for a day or two and then just read full all the time. Grrr.

New sending unit went in last night easily, and it was calibrated with fuel and the PST2 tool, but it still reads 3/4 when full.

There is only one other thing I must check... The pump may have stopped prematurely. It's been so stinking hot here in Houston that I need to top it off again real early one morning and see if that was a vapor issue with those new pump nozzles or the car itself.

Ah, the joys of owning an older car!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote