View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #15
Johnny Danger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
the discussion got lost on this....anyone with a negative experience while using 15mm spacers on the front and 20s on the rears?

....yes an S is suppose to have wheel bearings that can take this...
Ultimately, it comes down to 3 basic concerns; size, offset and clearance. Starting with a baseline of information (i.e. your current wheel set-up), one can calculate the difference in fitment based on changes in wheel size and offset, as well as likely changes in tire width. When properly calculated , one can determine the appropriate amount of clearance. As far as structural integrity is concerned, I know a vast number of enthusiasts, to include myself, who have been using spacers for years with little to no adverse affects. This begs the question, how big is too big when it comes to spacer size ? Over the years, I've seen just about every wheel and spacer configuration imaginable. And at the end of the day, if a particular application works, well then I guess it works. I'll share a little trick with you as to how one can effectively measure inside wheel clearance. By simply taking a series of allen wrenches, see which sizes will pass between the inside lip of the wheel and the strut or perch. Believe it or not, this simple technique has proven to be an excellent way to preliminarily measure inside clearance. From there, one can estimate how changes in offset or spacer size will effect wheel clearance inside the fender. Even my Porsche "guru" was impressed by this. Determining outside fender clearance is easy. Just use your finger.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 05-07-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote