View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I have a three spoke steering wheel on its way to me to replace my original four spoke. From what I have read so far it looks like a fairly straightforward job to do the swap. Are there any tips or tricks I should know before I start? Will it really just wiggle off the column or will I need a puller? Thanks!

Mark
Make sure you mark the top of the steering wheel on the shaft before you pull it off. Otherwise, you could end up with the wheel being turned a little while the car is pointed straight.

It should wiggle off with some tugging. If you keep the nut at the end of the shaft while you're pulling, you won't hit yourself with the steering wheel when it lets go. There are a couple of delicate "fingers" that protrude from the wheel angle sensor behind the wheel. Make sure they're lined up when you put the new wheel on so you don't break them. It's part of my documentation here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/24367-diy-dashboard-assembly/page__p__127612__hl__dash__fromsearch__1&#entry127612

It's the black ring in most of the pictures of the steering column.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote