View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
zeeflyboy

ruh roh... help with a coolant problem please!

Hi guys,

I just picked up a lovely year 2000 porsche boxster S last week and have driven it out to geneva and around, all the while it has been going beautifully!

Until today...

I parked up and as I exited the car I heard a gushing sound, looked down and saw liquid escaping the car at quite a rate!

Turns out the coolant was doing a runner! It was all over within a minute or two and there was a very large puddle under the car. I managed to see that it was dripping (well not dripping.. pouring...) from just infront of the rear right hand side tyre.

I called out the AA (thankfully I have european cover lol), and they sent a guy to come look at it. He added some water to top it back up and it took maybe 1-2 litres apparently. The leak had seemingly stopped, so he suggested that I follow him to the porsche garage and we could ask what they think. The technician there didn't bother loooking at it, but said since the leak had stopped just keep an eye on it and a big bottle of water in the boot - if it happens again come back.

Since then it seems to be okay, I noticed a small leak again when I parked up to go to work but nothing major and the coolant level hasn't dropped. Obviously something isn't right though and I'm concerned that it may not be reaching the correct pressure if there is a leak... quite glad it's working for now though so I have time to do any work on it myself.

So the question - what am I looking at here? A bust resevoir? cracked hose? what is the best way for me to tell? I'm fairly handy with a spanner but have no knowledge ogf this car yet, havign only owned it for a week... Any help would be much appreciated.
zeeflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote