View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
Cloudsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles
Jake,

I was very interested on installing the LWFW along with the Sachs spring clutch disc but got cold feet after reading one of your posts where you mentioned that the dual mass flywheel cancels the harmonic issues and that there were several engines that failed because the dual mass FW was replaced with a LWFW.

Do you think that would be safe to install a LWFW (AND) an underdrive crank pulley with a harmonic balancer?

I saw an ad from a company called ATI Racing and they told me that it was possible to manufacture an underdrive pulley with a harmonic balancer.

However, I was not aware of the RSS UDP until this post, but the ones from ATI seem beefier.

Somewhere I read that some of the older Porsche engines had a harmonic balancer build into the crank pulley as well, but I am not sure if these would fit or if they would do the job once done by the dual mass flywheel.

What do you think?

Regards,
Gilles

PS, this is the link to ATI:

http://www.atiracing.com/products/dampers/damper_tech.htm

ATI makes great stuff, unfortunately they do not have any applications that would benefit us, hence why I went with the RSS unit.