Thread: 986 mods
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
jwade

See responses below. Just some unbiased thoughts from someone that has been here for a while...Do a search too as this topic comes up all the time.

Boxsters are just well balanced fun cars that pretty much run on a well optimized design from the factory as is. They are expensive to tinker with so you need to be aware of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh
hello, I am both new to my 986 S and to this forum, I am looking to modify my car and would welcome any help I can get. Here are my objectives, I would like improve th ehandeling and the power, so her eis my shopping list in some sort of order

1, dampers and springs (was thing KW any better options?)

Porsche Tequipment RoW M030 or Bilstein PSS9/10

2. wheels and tyres (have 17's on it but am thinking 18's something light)

Go 18" - either carrera lites or turbo twists look the best. I have twists. I do not run spacers and correct boxster wheel fit are 7.5 x 18 up front and 9x18 rear.

3. maybe look at the brakes (they seem okay, but am still gettiing used to car)

I have has zero issues with my brakes. S brakes are fine. If you have a higher mileage car, maybe you need to replace rotors and pads, but most likely, just pads.

4. limited slip diff

Going to pay some bucks for this and unless you are going to a spec racer level, I think the stock S diff is fine.

5. lastly a low pressure turbo as the car seems woefully under powered

I would not do this unless you went with Turbowerx system and had it professionally installed by them. Most people here go with an 3.6 engine swap and that's going to run you twice what a turbo does @ approx. 20k.

6. put the car on diet, try to lose 100kg+ carbon fibre bonnet and boot

You can loose some weight of the rear by deleting the secondary cats and going with some fabspeed bypass pipes. There are some other things too, but nothing huge unless you really plan on going spec and stripping the car down to bare bones.

I f anyone has any other ideas please feel free to suggest them

thanks

Mark

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote