Thread: Caliper Bolt
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #12
pompous

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
The tips on the top front caliper bolts are exposed in a cup-like recess in the wheel carrier. My thinking is that they are exposed so as not to build up pressure with the anti-seize accumulating at the bottom of a hole.

Because of this situation, these can corrode due to water accumulating there. I think mine rusted because the car was in Utah for a bunch of years as a DD and the road salt probably got in there and wasn't washed out regularly.

Two years ago, some of you probably remember me moaning over the fact that both top bolts up front on my MY97 took nearly 2 hours to remove (each one!) with the same back and forth loose, tighten motion recommended earlier...and the bolts when finally removed completely sheared off the threads in the wheel carrier. It was as smooth as a machined hole.

I would imagine that this is what will happen when you finally get that bolt out of yours too.

I had to buy a time-sert kit, drill it out bigger, put in a new insert, and then put in new bolts. The brand "time sert" is like Helicoil, btw.

That was a nightmare. And an extra $200 and week at my buddy's house I had no desire to spend on my brake job.
This is exactly my situation. I ended up putting it back together and taking it to a local shop. They drilled it and then used the helicoil and i'm out the door for ~$150. It crossed my mind to do it myself, but it would have been my first time doing such w/nobody experienced to help me. I figured such an integral part of my box's safety, it probably is not the best time for me to "learn" and take a chance at compromising the braking system. Just glad its over now lol

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote