View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallison
i think we have to look back when porsche brought out the boxster. Some thought that it would cheapen the brand by selling a 50k base porsche. But seeing that this market has brought new customers, the 356 may work, but how much cheaper do you really want to go?
Porsche actually went for the Boxster as a true concept car. They really didn't have an idea of what it woul actually cost to build until the very end of the design process. At that point they were informed by the guys with the calculators that it was going to cost more to make than the Carreras. I think that's when they brough in the Japanese guys to move the company away from the old school Porsche "hand assembled" methods. While they were certainly looking for volume (as they had none at the time) they were looking for a winner more than anything.

This baby boxster is a whole different situation. I'm sure they can quote the price of a VW/Porsche/Audi parts mix of a cookie cutter two seater down to the penny. There's nothing unprecedented in that car. The Boxster on the other hand was first 100% designed only to be a roadster that Porsche had ever built. Everything else was just a car with the roof hacked off.

p.s.
Thos concept drawings look pretty weak. I've seen better Miatas.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote