View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
Evan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopius
if i can ask one last stupid question (and i think the answer is obvious but maybe not) if you're driving in the power band at all times, that 3-5k zone, doesn't your mpg average plummet? filling from empty here in the northwest is now closing in on the $50 tab but yeah, yeah i know. this is the bed i made.
I doubt it. I believe engines are most fuel efficient around their torque peak. That's why CVT equipped cars will rev up to around 4000 and sit there while they vary the gear ratio to produce acceleration.

Also, consider the amount of time you spend accelerating versus cruising at a steady speed. Sucking up a little extra fuel by accelerating a bit quicker probably consumes a tiny fraction of the time you spend driving the car. Once you're at your desired speed, you should be in the highest gear reasonable, usually 4th-6th. You don't need to be cruising (not accelerating much) at 3-5k rpms.

Better yet, see for yourself. Drive a little more aggressive for a tank or two and compare it to the mileage you get at your current pace.
Evan78 is offline   Reply With Quote