View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 04:57 AM   #19
VRsyncro

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551
It seems like the best/ most inexpensive way to go about it, because I am in Canada, is to have the company ship it to the border crossing and to just jump over and drive it back. That has cut the price by more than half, which equates to about the price of the plane tickets (my brother and I). I save on gas, and the drive time is cut by more than half, which is worth it on its own. Thanks for all the suggestions, they are most helpful. I have yet to book one but it is getting really close.
There is a bit more to it than that.

Depending on the US border crossing, most points only allow vehicle exports Monday to Friday: 8am - 4pm (NO EXCEPTIONS).

Also, the border crossing will not allow any shipping or storage of cars overnight, so you may have to park it in a lot, the duty free shop, etc...

You will also have to ensure that the title is brought to the border crossing 72 hours or more in advance of the vehicle export. They check for any liens, etc...

Once the title is stamped for Export, you now have the fun part of bringing the car into Canada.

If you are doing this through a Private Sale, make sure you have all of the correspondence (e-mails, e-bay posting, web classified ad, etc...)
You will also have to bring corresponding proof that the bill of sale price is matched by proof of how much you paid (either Bank Draft Receipt, Paypal, or Bank Wire Transfer, etc...)

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

My experience: I shipped to the border, guy transporting the car showed up late, I had to hide the car somewhere, get someone to drive me back again for first thing in the morning, export the car, then import, then drop off at garage while I waited for RIV paperwork to go through (in the meantime I had E-Test and Safety completed).
VRsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote