View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
23109VC

in a nutshell - there is no "magic" mod that is relatively affordable and will make a LOT of power.... you can spend $2000 on an exhaust and get no real power..it might sound cool...but it won't be any faster.

as others have said - tires and suspension can make you go a lot faster and handle better - which honestly, is what this car is all about. if you want a dragster, you bought the wrong car. there are plenty of cars out there that will spank your car in a straight race. My 2.7 is similar to yours, and while it's plenty quick to keep my happy, it's not a straight line car... my bone stock Acura RL might outrun my box in a drag.... plenty of "family" cars out there will EASILY outrun your boxster.... but on a twisty road...with the top down - you'd be HARD pressed to find a more FUN car...that handles as well....

i'd skip the exhaust. if you have to do one, get a maxspeed catback..they are under $1000 and from the youtube videos i've seen they sound pretty good. know that most aftermarketexhausts will drone and annoy you to death. i did a pedro mufflera nd it is a bit louder, more aggressive sounding,, but not quite the full blown "aftermarket" sound yo may want...albeit with NO drone though..

tires make a huge difference as will suspension. there are a lot of nice cosmetic mods to make your car look very nice which is a fun thing do to a car as classy as the boxster. Center painted consoles look good - as do clearing out your lights if you have hte older amber ones.... pedals.... you can spend endless sums of money on the car...

one other word of advice - some of the money you'd like to spend on mods...save it up for future repairs. you can be SURE you will have those. and not much on these cars is "cheap" to fix. in the last six months I've had to replace a MAF and a water pump...at about $1000.... on a car with only 78k miles.

save for repairs and new tires..things these cars seem to require more often than other cars..

try to enjoy the car for what it is. like you, i like to mod..but i'm trying to remidn myself, this is a car to be nejoyed for what it is...if you must have a FASTER boxster..then sell your 2.7 and buy a NEWER one.

honestly, you would be far better off to just dump the boxster you have, and get into a newer S model..you'd instantly have WAY more power, everything newer...of course you'd be paying more..but as with most things in life - you pay to play / you get what you pay for / insert metaphore here... as most of them are true...

good luck!!
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote