Thread: Axles
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
landrovered

Garage
An update after this weekends wrenching festivities.

Pedro was correct, the play is normal. The thing that threw me off was that the boots inhibit the amount of lateral movement and since mine were ripped and the ones on my wifes car are not, it felt like more play on mine than on hers because of the difference in the boots.

Secondly thanks to Pedro for the write up, very helpful.

The first side took me about four and a half hours most of which was spent trying to get the cage and the bearings back in the CV housing properly. Word to the wise, don't pop the whole assembly apart to clean everything unless you have a few hours to kill. It is counter intuitive but I can assure you I now have a complete and thorough understanding of the porsche CV joint. I like puzzles but if you don't have to then dont.

The second side was completed start to finish in two hours.

Now I have nice shiny new boots for my CVs and a bit of the noises I was hearing are gone. It is amazing how much grit will get in the grease on the CVs with ripped boots. The gratification will come from not having to replace them later on.

Also I got the anti theft lugs off of my car. The car did not come with the adapter thingy and I cannot stand a car I cannot easily take the wheels off of. I got four replacement lugs from Joe at German Auto Dismantlers.

I will be replacing my rear brake discs and pads very soon. That is a piece of cake on the Porsche. Much easier than other makes I have worked on.

Cheers