View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
r9i8c7k

I thought this place was pretty cool in Nashville TN.

Parthenon
W End and 25th Ave
Nashville, TN 37203
Phone: (615) 862-8431
Price: Adults $3.50; children/seniors $2

An impressive permanent art collection, wonderful touring exhibits and the great big lady upstairs.

The Scene
Created as an exact replica of the Parthenon in Athens for Tennessee's centennial celebration in 1897, the building houses Athena Parthenos, the largest piece of indoor sculpture in the Western world at 41 feet 10 inches tall. In the palm of that statue's hand stands Nike, a 6-foot goddess of victory. Downstairs, the Parthenon art galleries include the Cowan Collection, a permanent exhibit that contains works by William Merritt Chase and Winslow Homer. The gallery also hosts national touring exhibits.

The Experience
Even after 100 years, it's still a top choice to impress out-of-town visitors. Though the Frist Center gets most of the art world's attention, the Parthenon's collection is still worth a look. And so is the Athena statue, which is so mind-bogglingly huge that your jaw will drop.