View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
PlayersExpress

Im looking before I leap.....

Since it's spring time in Chicago, I just spent the past 2 days replacing my cracked plastic window. 2.5hours to get off, 100bucks at the local custom interior/glass shop, and another 5 hours to put back on (shakes fist at contact cement).

Next on my list is a pesky oil leak. Here are the details.....

It developed about 2 months ago. When it drops oil it drops it by the quart. What is interesting is that the oil level in the pan is at the bare minimum for the car to run and that oil isnt really dropping out whatsoever... but if I add 2 quarts, turn the car on and drive it down to the corner convince store and back, it literally drops both those quarts within 4-5 miles.. dropping oil in a goflball-baseball sized drop every 4 ft or so.

I had my buddy check it out the other week (hes finishing up school at WyoTech and is now under contract to work for Porsche.) From what he could see with just the top in service mode and the car on 1 jackstand with a small flashlight was the leak coming from the top of the engine, specifically the valve covers.

I was thinking of going after the leak myself with my father who used to work on his old 60s, 70s, and 80s cars... hes rebuilt a few engines and entire cars.

Right now, Im looking before I leap. Im about to get some dye for the oil to find exactly where the leak is coming from, but it completely has me baffled as to why it wont leak with the oil thats left in it but will if more is added. Is it smart for us to try and fix something like this ourselves?? Im just looking for opinions....

Thanks

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile..._4015248_n.jpg
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote