View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 11:52 AM   #15
Lux

Don,

Your car looks to be in fantastic shape. I think my '04 had more swirls than yours does.

For compounds I would get Poorboy's SSR2.5 and SSR1. 2.5 is a mild cutter and 1 is a final polish. Both are available on detailing sites on the net. This is what I use and I'm happy with the results. If you plan on using different compounds, consult autopia for suggestions.

For the subie:
1. Medium cutting pad with SSR2.5. Work in a 2'x2' area. Work the SSR2.5 until it breaks down and starts to dust. I put 4 dime sized dots on the pad and spread it on speed 1 and then crank it up to speed 5. You'll use this technique on pretty much all the compounds.

2. Light cutting pad with SSR2.5.

3. Finishing pad with SSR1.

4. Your favorite wax.

For the Boxster:
1. Light cutting pad with SSR2.5

2. Finishing pad with SSR1

3. Your favorite wax.

Here's some things to keep in mind:
1. Try and use the least aggressive pad/compound that you think you'll need.
2. Sometimes you'll have to go over an area 2 or 3 times to get the result you want.
3. It's ok to apply a little pressure to the PC. But just letting the weight of the machine apply the pressure is usually adequate. Again, move the PC ~3" per second. Let the speed of the PC do it's job.
4. Make sure whatever you use to remove the compound (I use MF towels) does not contribute to swirls/scratches.

Post the results when you're done. I think you'll be happy. BTW, it gets addictive really fast.

-

Last edited by Lux; 06-19-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote