View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 05:48 AM   #16
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboxstercar
"How much would you like? we have been collecting UoA's for almost 10 years now....... Mobil 1 started going to Hell when Exxon bought them in 1989. They have been consistently reformulating Mobil 1 products into lesser performers, some even losing all their ACEA ratings in the process. The current version of 0W-40 took several attempts before it regained any ACEA ratings, and then only just. Mobil 1 once was a great product; unfortunately it no longer is."

Again you site nothing but your RED opinion. Repeating the same thing over again does not change it from opinion to fact.
I have been posting UoA analysis on this and other sites for many years. And my shop is not the only critics of Mobil 1 products; you can find similar data on BITOIG, Renn Tech, PPBB and other performance oriented sites as well.

Mobil 1 products, and in particular, the 0W-40 "approved" grade, once were PaO based Group IV oils that demonstrated great UoA's (high retention of TBN values, the ability to stay in advertised grade under high heat or shear, etc.). Then they got reformulated into Group III+ oils, and then down to Group III (or worse). This one of the primary reasons the film strengths of Mobil 1 products have deteriorated so badly over time. If you want to learn more, you can run a search and find multiple posts on this subject over the years as it occurred, particularly on BITOG.

As for lab data (we offer interested clients full UoA’s as a regular part of our service), Mobil 1 grades that used to demonstrate TBN value retention of 75% after 6-7,000 miles now have only 25% retention after only 2,000 miles of street driving. Grade analysis has shown that the 0W-40 product can totally fall out of grade in as little as 1500 miles on the street. We have even seen this poor level of performance in Cadillac engines, so it is not just the M96, or hard use; it is the oil. Mobil 1 15W-50 used to be the mainstay of the air-cooled crowd, where the oil performance is even more critical to the engine, but the stuff on the shelf today is a shadow of what it used to be, and cannot even meet the essential ACEA ratings it used to hold. We used to use Mobil 1 products as a standard offering to our customers; we no longer use any Mobil 1 products, and will not use them if asked to.

Unfortunately, as Jake just noted, there is something about oil discussions amongst the Porsche crowd that is akin to talking about politics or religion; reams of statistically significant data collected over several years get dismissed as “opinion”………………

At the end of the day, it is your car, so use what ever you want. Me, I’ll read and digest the available data and act accordingly…………….