View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #17
23109VC

there is no vibration at lower speeds. it's only at higher speeds.

I took the car out this weekend and drove it about 150 miles. The vibration is there at various speeds. it seems like somewhere around 75-85 it would come on, but also seemed to come/go. it's not like at 75 it starts to vibrate and then woudl get worse and worse the faster I went..

i never notice it below 75. at 75 i feelt he steering wheel shake a little bit..not drasticlly as if I was driving over a washboard...but it was wiggling...as if it was unbalanced.

if I was accelerating, i noticed it less. not sure if that's because the problem is in the front and the weight came off the front wheels..but i'm guessing since i feel it through teh fronts, the problem is up front and when ih hammer it the weight moved ore toward the bck, so I felt it less...but that's what I noticed.

in general, the problem is only there at freeway speeds. i noticed it the most if I was just cruising, at a set speed...

i'll check the front wheels..maybe undo them, retorque them..see how that does.

maybe take the spacers out and try it again.

i distinctly remember when i fist put the spacers on, that I didn't notice any vibation problems... that was several months ago...

i'll experiment with various setups and report back

regardless of what i do, I AM going to look into roadforce balancing.

i went to the hunter website and it lists shops that have the new 9700 machine..or whatever their latest greatest machine is.

it also lists which sites have some special extra feature calld LFM / Straightrack.

is it important to have the car balanced with that LFM feature, or does it just matter to get it done by a place that has the newer 9700 machine??

there is an americas tire very close that has the 9700 but it does NOT hze the LFM feature. the only places near me that have the LFM feature are dealerships that don't do porsche work... chevy, mazda, etc.

will any shpo with a hunter 9700 be able to do "roadforce" balancing? the place that I got my tires balanced at did NOT have this machine, so my wheels did NOT get this type of balancing.

do I need this LFM feature? or is that unnecessary?
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote