View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #12
Johnny Danger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
i'm noticing a vibration in my steering wheel at 75mph or so. at certain speeds it comes, then it seems to go..butm ostly the faster I go.

I hae the maxspeed motorsports spacers on my car - 7mm front `14mm rear. I think I had some vibration before htey went on, but honestly don't remember.

i had my car aligned/balanced 3000 miles ago. that was a year ago.

i could spend an hour or so, remove spacers, then drive...

or leave the spacers on, get it balanced....

just curious if there is any general consensus if wheel spacers tend to cause vibration or if that is rare?
Assuming that there are no issues concerning your wheels and tires, I can think of two possible reasons why you might be experiencing a vibration relative to the use of spacers.

1. Correct me if I am wrong, but judging by the photos, that brand of 7 mm spacers
does not appear to be hubcentric. Meaning the design of the spacer does not
incorporate a hubcentric ring. Beyond a 5mm spacer the wheel can no longer make
contact with the "shoulders" of the hub. Therefore, a hubcentric ring with the same
bore specifications must be designed into the spacer in order to replicate the actual
hub itself. Without that, the spacer is more or less "sandwiched" between the wheel
and hub. Therefore, creating a loss of "centricity" between the wheel and the hub.

2. Again, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that brand of spacers is supplied with
lug bolt that utilizes a different type of ball seat along with a 17 mm head.
If that is the case, and you are using them in conjunction with your oem wheels,
you have created an extremely dangerous situation for yourself.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 02-15-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote