View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #15
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Thank you for the advice.

Did you read the article that I linked to? The good Doctor makes it abundantly clear that the problem as he sees it is cold starts. If he is mistaken then I certainly would like to know about it.

You read and you read and you talk to folks and then you make policies regarding what you do and how. That is what I have done.

Hydraulic lifters like oil and they like warm oil. I realize that our German boxers are not V8s and am willing to change my policy if evidence is produced to the contrary of what is the basis for warming my engines.

Give me some data.
I don't want to get into a long dragged out discussion on this. Academically, some arguements look good on the face of it.

But one thing the 'good Doctor' is discounting are the millions of cars operated each day, including those in freezing climates, where most drivers pay little if any attention to warming from a cold start. And most of their engines operate well to the extent of their design life. And, for those which aren't, there are too many variables involved such as driving style, abuse, avoided or poor maintenance to point specifically to poor startup procedures alone. His 'theories' just aren't born out in real life.

If it were such a problem, the roads would be littered with cars with blown engines and this is just not the case. There is proof all around you.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-04-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote