View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
I idle my cars until the temp gauge starts to move. Cold oil in a revving engine is far worse than in an idling one.
The whole point to idling a car for about 30 seconds after startup is to allow the oil galleries to pressurize and float the crank. This is why the DME operates in Open Loop for 30 seconds, it then switches to Closed Loop operation to facilitate driving and controlling emissions. After the slight warm-up, you want the engine revving higher so that oil is flowed to the top of the engine and lubes and cools the head, cams and valves. The oil pump is not at maximum pressure or flow at idle, nor is the coolant pump.

Most of the caution about driving at low throttle until things warm is related to the transmission which does not produce heat from combustion as an engine does, but only warms from the friction created from it's internals by operating in gear.

Also, cold starts, and cold starts in cold climates, is exactly why multi-grade oils were produced and these work quite well. Excessive warm-up and idling is a thing of the past.

So far as Porsche engineering is concerned, your faith in it doesn't make it so. These are the same folks that brought you IMS and RMS issues (what are they on their 4th or 5th gen. fix?).

People believe what they want, I mean there's still a Flat Earth Society... but that doesn't make it so.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote