Thread: 6-speed rebuild
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
arnoldclab

Now the fun part! Let's get that defective LSD off the car. First, raise the car up with your build in lift - or blue collar lift by putting couple wood blocks under the wheels lol. Take great care to make sure the car is secure when you work underneath as not to hurt yourself.Remove 4 screws securing the transmission cover then you can see the LSD cover on the driver side which is secured by 10+ bolts
LSD cover plate on driver side
Next drain the transmission oil by locating the drain plug which is under the transmission base and the fill plug which is on the driver side kind of hidden toward the front of the transmission. One thing about the transmission fluid - they really smell bad!! lol

Drain plug filler plug on driver side
Both drain and filler plug uses 10 mm Allen. The space at the filler plug is very limited so it's hard to fit a socket/wrench. I used a long 10 mm Allen wrench and fit the end of the Allen wrench with a 10 mm socket and socket extension to provide enough leverage to break it loose. None of the plugs have washersThe drain plug has a magnetic tip which help collect all the metal shavings. It's a good idea to clean it really well before putting it back. it's also a good idea to change the transmission fluid at least once a year if you trackAfter it's all cleaned
Now let's separate the drive axle from the drive shaft flange. It is secured by six T-55 boltsYou need to remove the drive shaft and flange first on both sides to remove the LSD. I protect the drive shaft with pipe insulation foam and zip tie the driver side shaft against the lower body frame for ease of accessNow you can see the center bolt securing the drive shaft flange

I used two of the T-55 bolts to help give leverage to loosen the center bolt. I was told not to use impact wrench to break the center bolt loose to prevent damaging the bolt or the "bell" that it's attach toThe "bell" holding the center bolt of the drive shaft flange are pretty lame. There may be extra play where you can rock it in and out couple mm even before you loosen the center bolt. Also you may need to pull the drive shaft flange out as you loosen the center bolt or the bolt just spin without catching the thread. Matt at GUARD transmission told me this is very common on all OEM LSD and does not affect performance. He will try to heat the "bell" up to make it fit better during rebuild.

Now gently slide out the drive shaft flange on both side and remove the 10+ bolts on the LSD plate located on the drive side
Don't remove the LSD cover if you have not remove the passenger side drive shaft flange. This will lead to excessive movement of the flange on the passenger side when you try to remove the bolts which can damage the rubber seal around the flange. Once both flanges are removed, gently tap on the bottom "lips" of the LSD plate with the back end of a hammer. Don't tap on the LSD cover with metal - it will damage the cover. I used the hard plastic back end of a hammer. Be patient, the LSD cover will slowly come loose and be ready to catch some residual transmission fluidTake care in handling the LSD cover as not to damage the inside or the contacting surface
Now you can see that ugly defective LSD for the first time! it sure reminded me of Alien's head lol. It is super heavy and weigh 30+ lbs. Take great care not to bang it around while removing it. You need to work it around the rubber hoses and the drive shaft but it will come out. it reminded me of delivering a 12 lbs breech baby lol This is what the LSD case look like inside

Last edited by arnoldclab; 02-02-2010 at 10:52 PM.