View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 02:59 AM   #74
gregwils

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
No one has a definitive conclusion or percentage of failures for any year.
But I will remind you that for every post here about an engine failure there are probably a few thousand Boxster owners that never had a problem and therefore never sought a solution on the internet, and posted here about how few problems they have.

There have been over 200,000 Boxsters sold and this entire forum maybe mentions about 100 individual engine failures. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it doesn't happen that often (knock on wood).
I don't disagree that this thread makes it seem like every other person has had an IMS failure. On the other hand, I don't think you can ratio based on forum posts. I have been on lots of other forums (other makes) and it is very unusual to see this volume of engine failures. It's probably safe to agree that IMS failures are a real problem for Porsche. There was a great article in Excellence on the M96 engine listing it's strengths and weaknesses.

I would suggest to current and potential owners of M96 engine (2000+) who are concerned to just install the upgraded bearing from Raby on LN, then you're risk of an catastrophic engine failure probably isn't much greater than a Honda or Toyota. RMS can still be a problem.
gregwils is offline   Reply With Quote