View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #19
Jaak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Jaak,

I think its fair to say that perhaps the 2 most important reasons why Porsche enthusiasts upgrade their wheels are for both aesthetic and performance benefits. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. With that said, its up to the individual to choose a wheel of his or her liking. However, as far as performance is concerned, as I am sure that you know, the objective is to reduce rotational mass. By reducing rotation mass acceleration and braking are improved .. blah blah blah..so forth and so on. As far as I'm concerned the wheels that you are considering really don't meet the aforementioned criteria. Yeah, I'm sure that they are nice wheels and that they would probably look good on your vehicle, but in reality you would simply adding another heavy cast wheel to the equation. Moreover, given the sizes and offsets of those particular wheels, I don't think that you would achieve the look or "stance" that you are likely hoping for. My advice would be to look into a light weight forged wheel with a low offset. Something in the range of 19X8.5 (front) and 19X10 (rear). And depending upon your suspension set-up, offsets in the range of + 40 to +45 in the rear and +45 to +47 or so in the front. Keep in mind, that these are summary recommendations.

Johnny, thanks for the data, always welcomed!!! .

The car is basically stock USA model that had been imported here a few years ago and I got if for a song as PO put 4 extra litres of oil into her. Had engine rebuilt etc and now she's mine. I like the 18" as shown and if UPS did not screw up ... they would be on my car now!!!

I moved from a 951 which was rather fast to the 986S and I feel it needs a better set of rims. I am going more so for a nicer looking car than for the track (and keep the wallet moth free) so this is more what I am leaning towards.

Thanks again!

Jaak

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote