View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
dallison

my 1st year as a p car owner and doing the 60k service

I picked up my o2-s march 1 2009. on the ppi it needed, a battery, alignment, brake fluid flush, spark plug tubes(o-rings), brake flush, rms, inspection, cv boots, aibag inspection, 60k service and i'm sure there was something else. oh yeah the tires were starting to wear a little from the alignment.

I got the inspection in april and there weren't any issues. I then waited too long to get the alignment and i wore the tires. So i got an alignment for ~$120 and new sumitomo tires for about 600.

the power steering fluid reserviour was also empty, i filled that

I changed the cv boots myself (and knock on wood they are dry and still intact) before the tire change and alignment. The parts were ~60 and $145 for the lower control arm where i fawked up the ball joint. that was fun.

I bled the brakes with the tool from www.motiveproducts.com and it worked very well with one container of brake fluid. ~$15
Not knowing that there are two bleeders per caliper after i just completed the flush, i decided that i will do the proper flush in the winter.

I purchased a trickle charger ~50 sometime in the summer since i would drive the car once a week and it was ~3 years old. since november the car has sat but i am performing the 60k service and other things that i needed to repair/replace.

I purchased a battery when the old one completely died. Even after sitting on the charger it wouldn't give me enough juice to open the hood.

So $75 for a 3 yr free replacement battery from sears.

I replaced the serp belt, Took me a while to figure out which pulley was the tensioner. Once i figured it out it was easy.

Spark plug tubes; this isn't hard at all.

I purchased new bosch plugs and all new o-rings for the tubes.
The old plugs were beyond worn. They were evenly worn with no uneven wear. No bad spray or deposits were left.
I bought a transom (per pedrosgarage.com) and pulled the tubes and cleaned them lovingly. The tubes were fine, but the o-rings def needed to be replaced.
The coil packs have a few cracks in them and i don't have any drivability issues and no codes, so i'll let them be at this time. Just cleaned all the oil and residue and reassembled.

I will replace the aos and the updated hose in a couple weeks when i get my lazy but to order the parts.

I also had a rattle that i wasn't sure where it was coming from. It was the heat shield that was covering the passenger side catalytic converter. So i'll have to order the bolt and support for that. There is a shield that covers one of the pipes that is loose, but i'll figure that one out later.

The driver side wheel liner (small piece) and splash guard needs to be replaced, both are cracked. I replaced the passenger side splash guard last summer.

to the front of the car..................

i needed to replace one of the horns ~$15 ea, so i replaced both. You just never know when the other would fail.

these are easy to replace when the bumper is off. You just need to remember the position of the horns when reassembling.

In order to get to the horn, you need to take off the bumper. I knew the surprise i was about to get. And damn, there is a lot of **************** in there.

and of course behind the condensor or radiator(i forget)

http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1685/10157662/21637224/381648077.jpg

So i will either vaccum this out or take the hose to it, i haven't decided yet since i would have to put the wheels back on and unfreeze the hose.

The car was in some sort of fender bender before i got it and i knew about it and it didn't worry me since i was going to drive the car and it was just bumpers and hood damage.

The hood is in reasonably good condition, but i was thinking of having it repainted. There are a bunch of scrapes on teh bottom from the previous 2 op's.

I also noticed that the center hole was installed by someone and i always wondered why it looked a little off. Most people wouldn't notice it but i do since i was the car.

So after almost a year of ownership things are well so far.

I have performed all services required from the ppi which would prob scare off a lot of people, but since i can do most myself, it wasn't an issue.

The rms does not drip nor can i even see where it may be leaking so i am assuming that it was barely wet at the time of the ppi.

i am thinking of adding the Porsche decal that is on the new spyder to the sides of my car. Also painting the bumperettes and the side vents if i get the bumper repainted.

that is all

Last edited by dallison; 01-23-2010 at 06:16 AM.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote