View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #20
smcgeary

New cars are great for about 5 years and then you are rolling the dice on all. I own a 1954 Chevy Truck, a 1979 911 SC, a 1992 MB 300E, and my 2001 Boxster S. Sometimes I wonder if keeping the Boxster in the garage is worthwhile over the 300E as I might actually own that thing longer (being one of the last truly well built MBZ). In a previous life I worked as a Mercedes warranty processor at a dealership and was shocked by what I saw in terms of quality mishaps. Still I only saw a few warranty engine replacements over three years of employment and about 80 cars through the doors a day. Millions of electronic repairs but virtually no motors. Most of the problems with the motors with MB were fixed at the dealership. Why is Porsche so different? Seems weird to me and makes me believe that there is something odd here.

Every time I get tired of no power steering in the 54 or 79 I remember that I can keep them forever. I really hate having stuff that i feel like I will have to throw away.

Jake I want you to build me a motor if the feds don't mess the economy up further, but do you think the rest of the car is up to the engineering you put into the engines?

If I get a 3.6 for the Boxster I would want to feel like I could keep it forever. Maybe I am just going to have to be an old car guy only.
smcgeary is offline   Reply With Quote