View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
23109VC

Painting center console - question - which parts to PAINT and NOT-paint

I know you can paint whatever you want... but my question is - what parts of the center console are normally painted.. whether it's from bumperplugs.com or the guy doing it himself in teh garage...

here is why I ask... I have my car in the body shop to be painted for a minor collision. i have asked about having the center console painted, and to get costs down, I took it out, totally disassembled it down to it's components, took off all the clips, etc.

I have provided them the following parts"

1) the actual console - big long piece.
2) the little piece that wraps around the brake lever / drivers side and snaps into the console
3) the center piece that contains the window / seat heater buttons
4) the ash tray
5) the two plastic side pieces that snap onto the back of the console/s sides..

I *know* I'm going to have # 1, 2, 3, 4 painted.

I'm curiosu about #5. if you aren't sure what area I refer to in #5, see this pic below.

see in the pic...on the right hand portion, there is that large space right beneath where the console lid is...there are actual black plastic pieces that snap in there..they are normally black. even on my car with the full leather interior, those pieces are not covered in leather, they are just plastic pieces that snap on.

I could leave them black, OR I could paint them. you don't see them that much, as it's somewha hidden behind the seats, but when you are in the car sitting, I think you'd see it. it might look good. I"ve searched this site, and google, and don't see any pics that show any cars with this part visible in the pics - so I can't even see examples of it painted/unpainted.

I'm not sure if it would look better to have that black - to add more contrast with the black / ocean blue - or if it would look better to have that all painted....

I'm assuming that when you buy a kit from say, bumperplugs.com - this section is NOT painted...

would you guys paint that section or leave it black?
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote