Thread: Battery Issue
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
rangersplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschotland
Very easy, just remove the carpet behind the seats, which will expose a metal access panel. There are about 8-10 bolts holding the cover in place. You'll need a rachet and 10mm (I think) socket. A short extension will be useful as well. The belt will be right in front of you as you remove the cover. If your belt is broken, it's surprisingly easy and inexpensive to replace yourself.

If your belt's in good shape, the next think I'd check is the alternator. Your flickering battery and ABS lights make me think this is the problem. Ditto for the immediate shutdown after the jump. Replace your battery, which you said you were thinking about doing anyway. Search for the site for posts on troubleshooting your alternator. If you know your battery and belt are good, testing the alternator with a simple digital multimeter is easy.

My alternator recently died with absolutely no notice at ~71k miles, not more than a week after I installed a new battery. Repeated jumps got me a few miles each until I got home. I replaced the alternator with a remanufactured unit and it's been fine since.

BTW, you didn't mention your car's mileage.
Thanks for these tips. I have a DMM that I'm going to bring home from work tomorrow to use. I am thinking if I can get it running I can check what is going into the battery. I am at 86k or so. Maybe 87, not really sure

I know the battery is about 5 years old so that will be a good part to buy regardless.

I'll let everybody know how it goes. Oh, the headlights went out just before this happened along with the radio too. This is why maybe I'm thinking either the alternator or belt.

Thanks again guys.
rangersplash is offline   Reply With Quote