View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #20
husker boxster

"Classics" are probably more a function of the generation that's hit empty-nest, has the kid's college paid for, and is heading towards retirement with a few bucks in their pocket. They want to find a piece of their youth and relive it.

About 15 yrs ago Barrett-Jackson was filled with big Packards and Duesenbergs. Then the tri-5s took over. Now it's muscle cars. Just so happens the Baby Boomers are hitting my description above and they spent their college yrs during the muscle car era. The next "hot item" (classic?) is considered to be 77-79 Trans Ams. I'm considered a late Boomer and that was the hot car during my college yrs. Coincidence?

Since Porsches are expensive and few college age people are driving them, it will be harder for them to evoke that passion / nostalgia that a classic needs. Might they become museum pieces? Sure.

As far as 986s becoming classics and 987s not because of the weight gain, aren't 67-68 Mustangs considered classics as well as 65-66s? But with Mustangs, the more desirable ones have the big motors. The 914-6 is more desirable than a 914. There never has been a big HP Boxster that separates itself from the rest.

Just my $0.02 worth.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote