Thread: First track day
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 06:02 PM   #9
donv

Make Your Own Car Numbers for the Track

Here's a close-up of the numbers, off the car. If case anyone's interested in making your own, here's what I did:

Found a font I liked. Funny how many fonts have great looking letters and crappy numbers! Created a file on my computer with one number per page, printed them and then taped them together. Cut out the outline, but left a 1" wide strip to hold them together at the top and bottom edges. Cut out the interior openings between the numbers and the connecting strips.

Using the paper pattern, traced the inside/outside edges onto the magnetic material with a ball point pen. Cut on the lines with a regular pair of good scissors, being sure to leave the connecting strips.

Using a Sharpie (permanent fine point marker), colored in the "negative" of the numbers where the connecting strips were left and any places where it was too small to cut out the material.

Also created a few other numbers to add at the start or end of the 427 in case I'm not as consistently lucky in having the same number be open for each event. Ones use little material and a 6 can be flipped for a 9...

Last edited by donv; 06-11-2005 at 06:04 PM.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote