View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
this makes me want to say BAD MAF but, if it was a bad MAF howcome it is only throwing the one code for cyl 1-3?
When my MAF went bad and turned on the CEL, the only code I got was P1128. I turned the CEL off and a few tanks of gas later the CEL came on with the same code. I never got a code for the other engine bank. I traced the problem to the MAF by cleaning it and driving for several tanks of gas without the CEL coming back. Once I knew the CEL was due to the MAF, I replaced the MAF and now have a cleaned but used old MAF as an emergency backup. Cleaning them is not the same as a new one

From talking to the lead tech at the dealer for a long time and going through all the PIWIS screens, all the various emissions parts work together to constantly adjust air and fuel flow, timing, etc. relative to temperature, pressure, emissions parameters, etc. The computer in your car will adjust timing and fuel mixture as much as possible to keep things within a set range of parameters, so if one engine bank parameters are different from the other, such as due to different aging of oxygen sensors, engine timing, or whatever, the computer might think one bank is good when the other isn't. Hence the CEL only showing the P1128 and not the P1130 codes.
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote