View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Notboxedin

Funny, this is my first post and same exact problem here! I just picked up a 2002 S with 34K miles two days ago. Have both keys and both lights but need to be re-programmed. Good news is, if I have to go to the dealer at least I have that tag!

The battery was dead when I picked up the car. Would this make the keys lose the codes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itoy
Before I start, I would like to say that this is my first time to post a thread and thank you very much for allowing me to use this website.

I just bought a 2002 Boxster (Base) with 68k millage from a Used Car dealership (non-porsche) and I became the 3rd owner of this car. To make the story short, I got the car and I promise not to go back to that dealeship again (after having a misunderstanding in the price).

My Question is, I got the car with 2 keys with it. Both remote keys doesn't work from the beginning. The alarm button and the two small buttons for opening the rear and front hoods doesnt work, however the red LED is working. Everytime I entered the car, I have to start the car within 10 seconds to avoid the alarm. I tried to fix the problem by changing the batteries, cleaned the circuit board inside the keys, follows all possible solution from this web site. Nothings work.

So I ended up going to one of Porsche dealership to have my remote keys activated (re-programing). Unfortunately, when I got to the dealership, the mechanic is looking for the key's serial number written on a white paper tag. I told them that when I received the car, the dealer just gave me all the manuals but no key's labels. I went out to look over the manuals but I did not see any white key labels from the package. The mechanic told me that when you buy a brand new Porsche car, the 2 keys has a white labels with bar code and serial number on it. Without this serial number, he can not program the car to accept the signal from the keys. But unfortunately, I wasn't the original owner. Maybe the original owner just trashed the labels thinking it is no use anymore.

The solution is a new car key and it will cost me $328 per key plus re-programming charge of $120 per hour. So the total for 2 keys will be $776 plus tax.

I told my wife about the cost and she said "for just 2 remote keys, F..k them! We can buy a new washer and dryer for that amount of money." . So right now, the car is still drivable and we just got to use to open and close the doorshoods manually and start the engine within 10 seconds to avoid the alarm. I would like to know if there is any way to re-program the Porsche car's computer without the car's key serial number? I though you can just give them the car's VIN number to re-program the car's computer specially the original keys are still in use. Thank you all.
Notboxedin is offline   Reply With Quote