Thread: Blown Engine
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #70
gschotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 941MXVET
One point which isn't usually brought up is that IMHO, the potential for engine failure is baked into the current pricing. I think anyone who has purchased a Boxster in the past 3 years or so has purchased a great car for the money.
Absolutely, and you, tony0214, were a beneficiary (I was, too). Let's be honest, you thought you were getting a cheap Porsche, but you didn't do enough research before buying and it didn't turn out that way. That said, you didn't lose your a$$ on your car like some people.

I've got a few years on you and have owned a number of the European cars you mentioned, as have many friends and relatives. Fiat (aka Fix It Again TONY) stopped selling cars here in over 20+ yrs ago, Alfa ~15 yrs ago, and Saab is in the process of being euthanized (deservedly). I think that says a lot about their "quality." Apparently you saw qualities few others did. I and many family/friends have also owned Mercedes, BMWs and Volvos in the last 5-10 years that we were praying would be stolen and never recovered. Mercedes in particular has had a very spotty reliability record.

BMW & Mercedes have and still do makes some great cars (Volvo, I don't think so), but when they get older and have some miles one them, they're less reliable and more costly to repair than Japanese and American cars. Better than they used to be, but still not up to the level of the Japanese. That's why their resale value isn't great in most cases. Like you said, if you want that European driving experience, it's going to cost you, sometimes a little more, other times a lot. If you thoroughly research before you buy, truly have the money to properly maintain the car, can do a little wrenching yourself and are willing to shop around for parts, costs won't be too painful and your ownership experience will meet your expectations. Mine has in spite of all the money I've spent.

I'm not in any way excusing all the M96 and other issues. They're really disappointing in such an expensive car, even in a "cheap" Boxster. I dealt with biggest MOF (IMS) by spending the $ for the retrofit. If the engine blows up on me anyway, I'll be pissed but I can accept that because I don't have huge money invested. My point is if you can't deal with the costs/risks of such a car, don't own one. If I wanted to drive an appliance, I'd get a Toyota or Honda. They're great cars and plenty of people love them, they're just not for me.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote