View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
23109VC

Clear Bra opinions needed

My car is a 2000, with about 75k miles....it *just* had a minor fender bender and I recently had the body shop complete the estimate. The car is going to need the entire front bumper cover removed/repainted as well as the fender and a blend into the hood. I am making arrangments to pay the "extra" and just have them redo the entire hood instead of the blend...

I never considered a clear bra as my car had tons of rock chips. I did a Dr. Colorchip repair job and got it looking as good as I figure it would - now that I am having some body work done, my car - SHOULD - look like NEW when I get it. I will have new paint all over the front of the car - so IF I am going to clear bra it - THIS is when I have to do it.

I have seen them on cars - and don't mind the way they look, and I understand how they keep rock chips from getting on the paint - the rocks hit the clear bra and knick that, not your paint..

one thing I don't now - is clearbra removable and replaceable? so a year or two down the road, with freeway usage, do you get tons and tons of little "rock chip" like dings/divits in the clear bra material?

do you see those? basically - are you trading one eyesore for another? or are the litle knicks in clear bra hard to see?

then, if you do get a bunch of surface damage on the clear bra - can you just have it peeled off and a new one put on to replace it?

I only drive this car 3-5k / year max...but it does go on the freeway - and I plan on having this car a while - so anything I can do to keep it looking great is money well spent - and now that my car is going to look "new" I want it to stay that way.

I just don't knwo fi there are downsides / cons to clear bra that I'm not considering.

thanks.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote