View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
gschotland

Had my rear window replaced for $500 here in NJ. Pricey but worth it. I'm pleased with the result.

If you're going with a new top, absolutely go with the glass window; I would have. If your top's in otherwise good shape, replacing the plastic window is, like everyone else has said, a far less expensive alternative. My original window lasted 7 years. The replacement will probably outlast the rest of the car and at the very least my projected ownership tenure. $1500-$2000 or $300-$500, a very easy choice. Consider how long you expect to keep the car.

If you go the window replacement route, I'm not so sure I'd try to save $30-$50 on a $100 (retail) by buying one on eBay or anywhere else online. If you have a problem the last thing you want is the installer pointing to the crappy rear window you supplied and made him use. If you've got the skills and time, doing the top removal and reinstallation yourself sounds worthwhile and a potentially big money saver. The bulk of the costs are labor, not materials.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote