View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
PlayersExpress

I must comment here, Im in Chicago and my window cracked.... well split right down the middle from top to bottom!

I found three good shops to do the work. The shop I chose to do the work quoted me $300 to do it, 3 hours of labor at $100 an hour. That was just the labor, not the replacement window which they wanted another $100 for.

HERES HOW YOU SAVE MONEY

1. Buy the replacement window online. there are many readily available on ebay for 50-70 bucks.

2. And this is the big one.... the top must be taken off the car for them to cut out and sew in the new window... this shop specialized in convertible tops so they quoted 2 of the 3 hours for the top removal..... if you have a second car available and can leave the box incapacitated for a day or two, I suggest you deinstall the top yourself and reinstall it when the window is replaced, sure it will take you 5-6 hours of your own time, but if money is a problem... that would save you at least $200.

My total came out $70 for new window from ebay and only $100 for the new window installed because I chose to remove the top myself and just bring in the new window with the top off for a grand total of $170.

$170+5 hours of my time VS $370

The choice is yours, I wish you the best of luck.

PS- Besides marina shops... search for Customization shops or Restoration shops in your area, they normally are smaller shops, but they have much much more experience in repairing the convertible tops.

Adam
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote