View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
23109VC

my top recently cracked, but it was a very minor crack right near the edge of the window...I managed to fix mine with adhesive sealant... so far so good...

but before I went "el cheapo" route, I looked into new tops, windows, etc.

I'm in So cal - and found a nice auto upholstery shop that did convertible tops..they would install new tops, redo plastic windows etc. They did the top on my Miata about a decade ago and sewed in a new plastic window..they are still in b usiness... they did quality work on the Miata..and they quoted me $350 to sew in a new plastic window.

you can't sew in glass - the shape/size/location of our plastic window prohibits it. You'd have to get a whole new top to go glass. Either the aftermarket tops, or get a salvaged top from a newer 986 with glass...all those routes are fairly $$$.

If your canvass is good - it's cheapest to sew in new plastic. You could redo the plastic window three times and still not spend as much as a new top.... when the plastic is new/clean/clear it looks nice. take good care of the new one and it will probably last you years and years.

find an auto upholstery shop that does convertibles. I can't suggest one as I'm not in your area - but I'm sure you can find one, I would expect to pay under $500. the shop that I contacted was a long standing well respected reputable place that has been in business for 25 years + and they only wanted $350-375 IIRC. It was NOT over $400. I've heard of shops trying to get $500-600 for a window... which I think is way high...

good luck.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote