View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Werks

Quote:
I think this would be the way to go (poly carb) only because since it is the first attempt and getting the right shape size and
cut are important and if you make a mistake... well only a few bux was lost.
down the road you can upgrade like BLUE2000S
said to something more durable and use the old one as your cutout. no mistakes on the more expensive piece.
--------------------------------------
Thanks for your comments. BLUE2000S commented on possible yellowing over time, not durability and price.

As I mentioned in my original post...Polycarbonate / Lexan is much more durable than any alternative clear plastic.

The following video will illustrate the huge durability difference between Polycarb and Acrylic, and should entertain you will doing so....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsls5ZPCUnE - Polycarbonate vs Acrylic

Polycarbonate is more expensive than Acrylic / Plexiglass for this application. Plus, Polycarb is easy to cut with a saw while Acrylic is not,
which makes "homebuilding" with polycarbonate / Lexan a no brainer.

I was fortunate to find an inexpensive "scrap" piece of this durable plastic at a local plastics shop. I do business with this company
buying High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) that I use in kayak frame construction.

"Zefferus" commercial windscreen for BMW Z3. This was the example used for my Boxster windscreen.

1/2" HDPE plastic that I use for folding kayak construction. It's very durable, but softer than Polycarbonate. HDPE has a "memory" allowing
repeated snapping on / off of aluminum tubes during assembly. Amazing stuff that's easy to saw and drill with wood blades / bits.
Triumph Sprint 1050

Last edited by Werks; 01-08-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Werks is offline   Reply With Quote