View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
landrovered

Garage
2010 Cayman S vs 2010 Carrera S

Just got back from the dealership test driving the Cayman S, Carrera S manual and PDK. First is was a wet cold day, not perfect for sports car driving but actually a good day to test models capabilities since the grip was not there as it is on dry pavement.

Some observations about what I drove.

First, for me the PDK is a no go. I really wanted to like it, I like the sophistication of it and the engineering but in reality it was a big let down. On the Carrera S models I drove. It turned all 385 hp into a boring grocery getter.

In normal mode it did just like every other automatic in history and got to the highest gear possible regardless of conditions.

In sport mode it shifted quickly and positively but I found the switches on the wheel both confusing and although I did not downshift accidentally, I could see how that would happen in the future. Over rev is a real possibility with the current wheel mounted buttons.

As for the PDK/tiptronic shifting on the gearshift lever, it is the same as in my Range Rover and frankly it is out of place given the difference between the two vehicles. Useless for the most part in my opinion.

Also when concentrating on traffic, it is easy to lose track of what gear you are in and finding the number displayon the dash is difficult when simply touching the manual lever tells you exactly which gear you are in without taking your eyes off the road.

I drove the Cayman S first to get a baseline for the 911 and to see the differences between it and the 986 Boxster I have. I expected it to be quicker than the boxster but I was totally blown away by the quickness of this vehicle. This is one surprising little bugger.

It was very neutral on the wet pavement and had an amazing amount of grip. The power was smooth and when you floor it, it kicks you in the backside and you are no longer where your were but well on you way to someplace else. I was truly impressed with the power and finesse of the Cayman S. It got my heart rate up and gave me that satisfying adrenaline rush that comes from a car exceeding your expectations.

I really like the rear cargo area of the Cayman and the Navi, bluetooth, satellite, electronic gizmos and heated seats are fantastic. After the BS radio of the Boxster, I was pleased to see executive level appointments.
I found a lot of headroom and the interior was very comfortable.

As for my dislikes about the Cayman, the biggest concern is the lack of visability. As with the boxster (but worse), you really have to double check all the mirrors and look left and right to get a sense of what is going on around you. I am sure that given time I would get used to it but driving on the highway was harder than it should have been.

The Carrera S manual was next. First, I like the driving position more and the visability is much better than in the Cayman. The interior is damned near perfect. The vehicle I drove had the short shift option so the throw on the gearbox was noticably shorter. I did not like the short shift, I never felt like I had the box in gear and every time I let out the clutch, I was worried that it was going to pop out of gear. Not that it did but I am used to the boxster shifter.

The power was smooth and predictable, the car had good manners and was easy to drive. But on the curves, I never had the confidence to push the corner as hard in the wet conditions as I did in the Cayman. In spite of the Carrera being notorious for oversteer, it felt like it wanted to understear in the wet. Also it never kicked me in the ass like the Cayman did. Not that the power is not there but my feeling was if I did give too much power, I would be spinning off the road into an insurance nightmare.

If I was looking for a daily driver/weekend racer then the Carrera S is the car to buy. I could see going on long trips in it and errands and normal driving stuff are all easy and then you have the performance when you want it. For the most part we spend 95% of our time in a car doing stuff like turning at stop lights and driving in traffic at the speed limit. Don't get me wrong, it is a big boy car no doubt about it.

The reason I am looking at a new Porsche is because I want a car that does nothing more than put a smile on my face. I have a daily driver and want something that will excite me.

In my case I think it is the Cayman S. It is less practical, harder to get in and out of, you can't see out as well and you will never forget you are in a sports car. Of course the $40k savings over the Carrera S ain't to shabby either. I am truly surprised because that is not what I though going into the dealership. I was thinking Carrera S all the way.

Cheers!

Last edited by landrovered; 12-31-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote