View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #18
MikenOH

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Randall, check into the new RS3 Hankooks. They are getting great reviews and doing very well at DE's and auto-x. Only problem is sizes are limited right now and they have less than 10 sizes available. They make a 265/35/18 for the back but up front the closest I found was 245/40/18! I don't think that will fly so hopefully they will make a 235/40/18 or 225/40/18 soon.

I switched from PS2's to the Kuhmo XS and my auto-x times dropped by at least a full second and I saved about $500. I'm sure Michelin makes good tires, but just not for what I need them for.
-------------

I put Kumho XS tires on my track rims to replace a set of old PS2's used for the same purpose and have to say that strictly for auto-X and track use, the XS is a better tire.

Having said that, I think the PS2's mission is to provide a much broader range of superior performance than an XS type tire --wet performance, ride quality, noise. All the stuff that is important when you're not on the track, day after day. In that role, it does a very good job, albeit at a premium price.

When my street set was due for replacement I went with the GY F1 Asymmetrical, which when judged by the seat of the pants, is very close top what the PS2 feels like at about 2/3 the price. Not sure if I'll get 20K for the GY's but suspect it will be close.

Last edited by MikenOH; 12-23-2009 at 06:42 AM.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote