View Single Post
Old 06-08-2005, 04:50 AM   #11
Birdy1062

Talking Tip for ladies ?

I'm allways amused when I see some comments on tiptronic.
In my case it's true that I bought the tip because this was the condition for my lady to drive the Boxter ( and men when she does heads are turning, I can assure you ).

Now, it's true that on the paper the tip is slower than the manual gear, but the numbers are coming from Porsche and I suppose that they have some professionnal pilots in order to make the best time possible.
So, as they are professionnals, they're used to get the upmost of a manual gear, on the other hand with the tip they just smash down the gas pedal and that's it !
Now for us, the "average" drivers ( my case anyway), I'm not convinced that we can get the max of a manual gear ( clutch, change gear, release clutch), on the other hand with the trip, as the professionnal pilots, we just smash down the pedal....

I believe there is a lot of macho attitude in the people saying tip is not for sportsfan...

One thing I really appreciate with the tip is flexibility, my wife is not afraid to start on hill when there is another car 20 cm behind her and I can play with the tip in M or D depending upon my mood; for instance one thing I appreciate more and more is what they call "dynamic deceleration".

Regarding the question about going from 2 to 1: there is absolutely no danger as if the RPMs would be too much the tip will refuse to go from 2 to 1; it's the same for any gear change, the same as when you reach let's say 7.000 RPM in 3 it will go automatically to 4.
Basically you can do nothing wrong with the tip in D or M.
Another advantage in favor of the tip ?
Birdy1062 is offline   Reply With Quote