View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
JRitt

Quote:
It just occurred to me, many of today's cars come with multiple levels of traction control or stability management systems where the brake system is a significant component of these systems. I do not know how intrusive these systems are on average, but it seems there is at least the possibility of uneven/non-consistent use on each corner, no? Probably not a significant amount, but just thought I would put that out there for discussion as it pertains to retaining the proper level of pad material on the rotors.
Yes....good thought. These systems definitely play a role. On my C5Z06 for example, if you drive in 'competitive mode,' you'll burn through rear brakes much more quickly because the car is trying to control yaw through the application of the brakes.
When doing the bed-in though, ABS tends to play a bigger role. That's why I always tell people to brake at the point just before ABS intervention if possible. The ABS pulsing can be distracting, and it will be grabbing and releasing the rotor, rather than a steady application of the pad against the rotor.
JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote