View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Frodo

By way of follow-up: I’ve gotten one estimate done, at a local place that has a good reputation, was recommended by the local Porsche dealership and has a working relationship with USAA, my insurance provider. As usual, it’s a lot more than I expected. For any of this to make sense, I guess I should provide a few pics:

I had hoped (though I wasn’t sure it was a realistic hope) they could just reshape the quarter panel and not have to paint, but he said it wouldn’t work. I know it’s hard to tell from the photos, but it’s mostly just a gently curved area that’s now flattened, though there is one small area (apparently where the mailbox first made contact) that’s dimpled a little. The paint is all intact in the area---nothing that couldn’t be buffed out. The scratches next to the mirror are small, but I guess (and he agreed) that any attempt at ‘touch up’ is going to look second rate. So, he’s telling me both the quarter panel and door will both have to be painted. He also wants to replace both wheels and both tires. (If I were paying for it, I doubt I’d replace either wheel---I’ve read techniques for repair on line that seem pretty good.) The one tire is clearly shot. The other (the one with the dime) is holding air; it seems OK, but I guess I wouldn’t want it to blow at 80 mph, especially being a front tire, so I’d probably agree it should be replaced. They’ll, of course, check the alignment. It drives straight, and there’s no easily visualized damage to the suspension components.

Another consideration: Found out that Stoddard’s, the dealership I bought the car from (in 2006), has a body shop utilizing ‘state-of-the-art ‘ equipment and materials. Check out: http://www.****************************************************/body_shop.shtml

Anyboody familiar with or have any experience with body shops using the technique and type of paint they’re promoting?? Beyond that, the only other problem is, they’re almost 50 miles away. I am debating whether I want to drive that far on a spare (with no other spare to take along) and a potentially compromised front tire.

Anyway, I’m just mulling all this over. If anyone has any additional comments or suggestions (especially about the Stoddard’s website information), they would be most welcome.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote