View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
Ronzi

I think you can run him down, and then claim it was a firmware glitch in the Tiptronic computer.
The second gear thing may be the Vario-cam changing mode at about 25-2700 rpm under part-throttle, causing a slight hesitation in the rpm gain.
I never really noticed it until someone on the forum pointed it out. It doesn't seem to happen it any other gear, nor does it happen on manual tranny cars. Apparently this is a known characteristic of the Tipper cars. Several people have contacted dealers about it, and gotten the same answer.
I don't think the Tip really learns much of anything about your driving style. It will respond to throttle position, braking, and the amount of cornering force being experienced, and will select one of the shift maps based on that. If you slow down, it forgets that you like to shift at higher rpm, and goes back to old-lady mode. Let's make that the "least agressive" shift mode.
The Tip in my '99 has 5 shift maps, and the newest '05s have about 250 I understand, but I don't know how many the '02s have. From what I understand, it is VERY difficult, and probably dangerous, to drive hard enough on the street to get the thing to hit the most agressive map.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote