View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
slogans7

On Getting used to Tiptronic

It's a weird sensation, transitioning (appropriate word here, lol) from a manual to Porsche's Tiptronic. I've driven stick shifts for the past 25 years (VW GTI, Miata, 325i) but went for the Tip since the 2002 I recently found had everything I wanted on it.

My left leg still searches for something to do.

I've found that leaving it in automatic leaves something to be desired. It upshifts too quickly for me. I know it's supposed to learn my driving style and adapt but I think I've got a slow learner.

So I'm leaving the lever over to the left and enjoying the quasi-manual shifting, although - and it's not hesitating - I find myself hitting the paddles a bit early to allow for the shift to the next gear to actually take place. I do like the fact that it'll downshift automatically if I forget to do it.

Question: when I start off in second gear, sometimes it seems like there are two gears in second which shift automatically; the indicator light says I'm in second but it feels like there are two gears in there. Am I nuts?

(BTW, a guy in my office enjoys teasing me about getting a Porsche with an automatic transmission. Can I run him down and get off with "justifiable homicide?")
slogans7 is offline   Reply With Quote